Module 1, Activity IV: Fossil Formation
- How, when and where do fossils form?
- How are fossils discovered and interpreted by humans?
- Have you ever seen any fossils?
- Where did you see them?
- What organisms were they from?
- Think, pair, share with your class on answers to the above questions before moving on.
- Use your textbook or other resources to review the types of fossils and how they form as instructed by your teacher.
View Fossil Formation video clip.
- List some organisms that people find fossils of.
- Are there any differences in the way various organisms fossilize? Explain your answers. Think, pair, and share.
- Do all organisms fossilize?
- How common or rare is the fossilization of any organism?
- What conditions are necessary for fossilization to occur?
- How do humans eventually find fossils?