First day on the Farm

30 Comments on First day on the Farm

It was a late start, but I was finally able to get out on a farm on Thursday, July 22.

I started the day at 6:30 am. With the sun barely over the trees, we started checking each tobacco barn and removing empty curing boxes in preparation for the afternoon. The heavy crates were coming out of the barns to be filled and packed with the season’s first harvest of tobacco. I learned that farmers will typically load later in the day, as it helps reduce the water content within the tobacco due to early morning moisture. Once that task was complete, I went with the farmer to handle monthly finances and to check on the progress of the migrant labor. We went field to field searching for a flowering nuisance that often towers over the sweet potatoes. The amaranthus, also known as pigweed, has developed a resistance to herbicides due to years of over exposure. These days most farmers have resulted to pulling the weed by hand as the only remedy. After taking a brief lunch, we went back to the tobacco barns to begin loading tobacco into the boxes. It took an assembly of migrant workers, several conveyor belts, and a hydraulic system to load around 840kg (1800 lbs) worth of tobacco in just one box. I helped hook each box onto the fork lift so they could be packed into the tobacco barns for an approximate 9-day curing process. During the hustle and bustle of the loading, the farmer received a phone call that one of the tobacco harvesters had broke down in the middle of the field. Because the harvester was loading new tobacco to be packed that day, it was critical that the machine was in operation to keep up with the crew. We rushed to the field and after carrying several lbs of tools and equipment, we were able to repair the broken torque hub in the rear wheel of the harvester. Due to the delay, we were not able to finish loading the last barn until 8:15 pm that night. As I reflected upon my day on the ride home, covered in dirt and oil, I realized that a farmer is much more than just a farmer. A farmer also has to be an accountant, a manager, a mechanic, a salesman, and so much more. It was a long and full day, but I enjoyed every minute of it!

30 thoughts on “First day on the Farm

1. Linda Dion

What a humbling experience! My grandmother grew up working on a tobacco farm and reading about your day reminded me of her. Farmers really do wear so many hats.

2. Kathy C Brintle

“…I enjoyed every minute of it” says it all, Will ! Good experience ! Wish you were part of our cohort.

3. I Fashion Styles

I have realized that online degree is getting well-known because attaining your degree online has developed into a popular selection for many people. Many people have not really had an opportunity to attend a normal college or university yet seek the improved earning potential and career advancement that a Bachelor’s Degree offers. Still other individuals might have a qualification in one discipline but would like to pursue anything they now possess an interest in.

4. Free Stuff

Cool blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your design. With thanks

5. Digital Ciggz

I operate a vape store website directory and we have had a posting from a vape shop in the United States that likewise advertises CBD product lines. A Month afterwards, PayPal has written to use to claim that our account has been limited and have asked us to take away PayPal as a payment solution from our vape shop web directory. We do not sell CBD items such as CBD oil. We only provide web marketing professional services to CBD firms. I have checked out Holland & Barrett– the UK’s Major Health Merchant and if you take a good look, you will witness that they supply a reasonably substantial series of CBD product lines, particularly CBD oil and they also happen to accept PayPal as a payment method. It seems that PayPal is employing double standards to different companies. Due to this constraint, I can no longer take PayPal on my CBD-related website. This has constricted my payment possibilities and right now, I am intensely reliant on Cryptocurrency payments and direct bank transfers. I have checked with a barrister from a Magic Circle law office in The city of london and they said that what PayPal is undertaking is completely against the law and inequitable as it ought to be applying a systematic benchmark to all companies. I am still to talk with yet another lawyer from a US law firm in The city of london to see what PayPal’s legal position is in the United States. For the time being, I would be very appreciative if anybody here at targetdomain could provide me with substitute payment processors/merchants that deal with CBD firms.

6. Nutritional Products International

By way of introduction, I am Mark Schaefer, and I represent Nutritional Products International. We serve both international and domestic manufacturers who are seeking to gain more distribution within the United States. Your brand recently caught my attention, so I am contacting you today to discuss the possibility of expanding your national distribution reach.We provide expertise in all areas of distribution, and our offerings include the following: Turnkey/One-stop solution, Active accounts with major U.S. distributors and retailers, Our executive team held executive positions with Walmart and Amazon, Our proven sales force has public relations, branding, and marketing all under one roof, We focus on both new and existing product lines, Warehousing and logistics. Our company has a proven history of initiating accounts and placing orders with major distribution outlets. Our history allows us to have intimate and unique relationships with key buyers across the United States, thus giving your brand a fast track to market in a professional manner. Please contact me directly so that we can discuss your brand further. Kind Regards, Mark Schaefer, marks@nutricompany.com, VP of Business Development, Nutritional Products International, 101 Plaza Real S, Ste #224, Boca Raton, FL 33432, Office: 561-544-0719

7. Nutritional Products International

8. Nutritional Products International

9. Kalamazoo Vapor

I run a vape store directory and we have had a listing from a vape store in the USA that additionally advertises CBD items. A Month later, PayPal has written to use to say that our account has been limited and have requested us to get rid of PayPal as a payment method from our vape store web directory. We do not retail CBD goods such as CBD oil. We merely provide marketing and advertising services to CBD companies. I have looked into Holland & Barrett– the UK’s Top Wellness Merchant and if you take a good look, you will witness that they promote a fairly substantial stable of CBD products, specifically CBD oil and they also happen to accept PayPal as a payment method. It emerges that PayPal is employing contradictory standards to many different companies. Because of this restriction, I can no longer take PayPal on my CBD-related internet site. This has constricted my payment options and right now, I am seriously reliant on Cryptocurrency payments and direct bank transfers. I have gotten in touch with a lawyer from a Magic Circle law office in London and they stated that what PayPal is doing is entirely illegal and discriminatory as it should be applying a systematic benchmark to all firms. I am yet to speak to a different legal representative from a US law office in London to see what PayPal’s legal position is in the United States. In the meantime, I would be highly appreciative if anybody here at targetdomain could provide me with alternative payment processors/merchants that work with CBD companies.

10. Hairstyles

Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good success. If you know of any please share. Many thanks!